Friday 2 June 2017

Volunteers' Week: Meet the Trustees

Did you know Trustees are volunteers? Our board includes individuals from a whole range of backgrounds, each bringing unique skills and experience. Here’s what some of them have to say:

Graham Shaw, Chair of Trustees


“Since moving to Dorchester-on-Thames 12 years ago, I’ve been fascinated by Wittenham Clumps which I see every morning – the history, the location and the fact that they are public spaces for the whole community to enjoy, watched over impeccably by Earth Trust. Walking on the Clumps is truly inspiring as you overlook the Thames, the woodlands and the last throw of the Chilterns in the distance.

“So when Robin (Buxton, former Trustee) asked me a couple of years ago to speak with Jayne (Manley, CEO) about becoming a Trustee, I was delighted and jumped at the chance. Since then, I learned much more about how Earth Trust engages with the public to deepen its understanding of the natural world around us and how it’s possible to work with – not against – nature, both economically and sustainably.

“Like many other charitable organisations, Earth Trust faces numerous challenges in securing its long-term future, despite the wonderful support it has received in the past. Overcoming these challenges is vital, given the importance of Earth Trust in educating all, but particularly young people, in ways that will help us to create a sustainable future. As a Trustee, my role is to be part of the amazing team that has brought Earth Trust so far and ensure it’s still here when the next generation – and the one thereafter – go running on the Clumps.”

Dr Mary Barkham


“I became a Trustee at the Earth Trust having met Jayne (Manley, CEO) whilst on a visit to the River of Life Project in 2015. I had for many years walked at Wittenham Clumps and Thrupp Lake with my family and was delighted to have the opportunity to get involved.

“I have a real interest in the research that has been done by the Earth Trust and in particular that on tree health using Paradise Wood. With threats such as ash dieback facing our native tree species resources like this are vital to inform future decisions on the tree species that are grown in the UK.

“Although I now live in South Wales I have been able to continue to be involved as a Trustee, either joining in meetings in person, or by phone, and have really enjoyed using my knowledge from my previous career to support them. It is a great pleasure to work with such an enthusiastic and knowledgeable team. Helping at events such as the Lambing Weekends has also been great fun and many of my friends have now joined in too. Volunteers at the Earth Trust are well managed so it’s a pleasure to help.”

Chris Phillips


“I have been visiting the Earth Trust site for many years both walking with my own family and bringing children to courses and events.

“As a retired head-teacher I know just how much schools value visiting The Earth Trust and the unique opportunities it provides for young people. It introduces them to the messages for sustainable living through practical activities and memorable experiences in the outdoors.

“I was delighted to be asked to become more closely involved as a Trustee and am particularly excited about the new Visitor Centre and how this will enable us to spread our messages even further!”

This week, Chris also decided to take part in one of our volunteering taster sessions – he joined the Communications and Engagement Team at Wildlife Wednesday at Abbey Fishponds and had great fun helping families explore the nature reserve.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Weekly update, 30th January

  A glorious sunny hint of spring g'day to you all! There are definite signs of spring at Wallingford Castle Meadows where winter ac...