Friday 5 May 2017

From desk bound accountant to assistant shepherd!


William has been volunteering with our Farm Step business Emma's Ewesful Acres since January. He was looking to gain experience with the aim of one day owning his own farm.


"I approached Earth Trust to volunteer to learn about animal husbandry - the goal is for my partner and me to have a small holding sometime in the not too distant future. I saw it as a win/win - I provide my labour and time in return for a learning experience. (I knew a bit about Earth Trust from previous visits to their Lambing Weekends and I also liked their ethos and green credentials).

"I decided to go with sheep due to the timing - I started late January, just coming into the busiest time of the year for a shepherd.

"Since starting volunteering in January, I have learned so much about sheep, sheep health, sheep handling and lambing - I have even birthed a couple of lambs and get to bottle feed the orphans! I have built a good relationship with Emma and she has been fantastic with me - sharing her knowledge and giving me responsibility to 'just get on with things'.

"The two Lambing Weekends were definitely highlights - seeing the look on the faces of the children as they patted the lambs and had their photos taken with them was magical.

"I've gone from desk bound accountant to assistant shepherd! I can't recommend enough volunteering at Earth Trust with a fantastic bunch of people."

Photos by Andrew Walmsley



No comments:

Post a Comment

Weekly update, 30th January

  A glorious sunny hint of spring g'day to you all! There are definite signs of spring at Wallingford Castle Meadows where winter ac...